Dornyei’s second language motivational self-system (L2MSS) illustrates second language acquisition is not only a learning process, but also a psychological one and is associated with learners’ self-identity. Basing on theory of the second language motivational self system (L2MSS) and media literacy, the present study investigated Chinese international students’ (N=178) Chinese social media literacy level (M=2.97, SD=.63), second language motivational self system (L2MSS) level (M=3.68, SD=.63) and Mandarin-learning motivation level (M=3.88, SD=.70). This study also examined the impact of international students’ social media literacy on their mandarin learning motivation. H1 (Social media literacy is one indicator of international students’ Mandarin learning motivation), H2 (Social media literacy of international students is one indicator of theirsecond languagemotivational self-system) and H3 (International students’second languagemotivational self-systemlevel is one indicator of their Mandarin learning motivation) were proposed and tested. All three hypothesis were accepted via regression analysis. Thus, the present study 1) confirmed the impact of social media literacy on Mandarin learning motivation via the mechanism of second language motivational self-system (L2MSS) (p < 0.05); 2) expanded explanatory power of second language motivational self system (L2MSS) to Mandarin learning.
Dornyei의 제2언어 동기화 시스템(L2MSS)에 따르면 제2언어의 획득은 학습 과정 일뿐만 아니라 심리적 과정이며 학습자의 자기 정체성과 관련이 있다는 것을 보여준다. 이 연구는 제2언어 동기화 시스템에 기초하여, 재중 유학생들의 소셜 미디어 능력이 그들의 중국어 학습 동기에 미치는 영향을 조사했다(N = 178). 분석결과, 유학생들의 소셜 미디어 교육은 중국어 학습 동기를 나타내는 중요한 지표 중 하나로 확인되었다. 소셜 미디어 리터러시의 향상은 L2MSS의 메커니즘을 통해 만다린 학습 동기를 향상시킬 수 있다는 것이 증명되었다. 제2언어 동기화 시스템에 영향을 미치는 유의미한 변수로 소셜 미디어 리터러시 수준(M = 2.97, SD = .63), L2MSS 수준(M = 3.68, SD = .63) 및 중국어 학습 동기 부여 수준(M = 3.88, SD = .70)이 확인되었다. 그리고 제2언어 동기화 시스템을 통해 소셜 미디어 리터러시가 중국어 만다린 학습 동기에 미치는 영향을 확인했다(p < 0.05). 또한 Dornyei의 제2언어 동기화 시스템(L2MSS)에 따르면 제2언어 획득이 학습 과정 일뿐만 아니라 심리적 과정이며 학습자의 자기 정체성과 관련되어 있음을 보여준다. 제2언어 동기화 시스템(L2MSS)상태가 양호하면보다 적극적인 학습 태도, 동기 부여 행동 및 학습 전략으로 이어질 수 있다. 제2언어 동기화 시스템(L2MSS) 만중국어 학습 동기 부여에 대한 강력한 설명 능력을 가지고 있습니다(R2 = .472, p < 0.01). 따라서 유학생의 중국어 학습 동기를 향상시키기 위해서는 소셜 미디어 리터러시가 중요한 척도이다. 또한 유학생들이 소셜 미디어 능력, 특히 미디어 접촉 능력 (M = 2.46, SD = .822)을 개발하는 것이 중요하다.
- A.P. Wang, “Cultural identification of southeast Asian students of Chinese descent and their motive of learning Chinese language,” Journal of Huaqiao University, Vol. 3, pp. 67-71, 2000.
- A.Q. Ding, “An analysis of the intensity of Chinese students' motivation in learning Chinese in China,” Language Teaching and Research, Vol. 5, pp. 18-25, 2014.
- B.L. Cao, “Social media: Concepts, history, features, and future concurrently talking about the ambiguity of social media nowadays,” Journal of Hunan Radio &Television University, Vol. 3, pp. 70-74, 2011.
- D. Buckingham, “Media education in the UK: Moving beyond protectionism,” Journal of Communication, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 33-43, 1998.
- G.L. Zhang, Q.W. Chen, and J.X. Yao, “Media contact and cultural identity: An empirical study of foreign Chinese learners,” News and Communication, Vol. 5, pp. 176-179, 2011.
- C.C. Hou, A study of Chinese learning motivation of the initial stage central Asia foreign students Based on the contrast Chinese learning motivation of South Korean, Master Thesis, Xinjiang Normal University, Xinjiang, China, 2008.
- J. Tham, and N. Ahmed, “The usage and implications of social networking Services: A survey of college students,” Journal of Interpersonal, Intercultural and Mass Communication, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp.1-11, 2011.
- J.X. Feng, and H.M. Zhang, “Study on l2 learning motivation under motivational self-system theory,” Research on Educational Theory, Vol. 12, pp. 73-74, 2016.
- L. Ni, “Media use and acculturation of international audience in Shanghai,” Communication and China, Vol. 12, pp. 165-179, 2008.
- L. Peng, “Three media literacy and their relationship in the era of social media,” Journal ofShanghai Normal University, Vol. 42, No, 3, pp. 52-56, 2013.
- L. Sun, and Z.S. Lv, “Importance and possibility: The contribution of the ideal l2 self to l2 learning motivation,” Foreign Languages Research, Vol. 6, pp. 53-58, 2004.
- Ministry of education: International students in China will reach 500,000.(2013). http://edu.people.com.cn/n/2013/1125/c1053- 23650782.html
- P.Z. Wu, and S.Y. Du, “Research on the status quo of Chinese college students' media literacy,” China Electrification Education, Vol. 2, pp. 29-32, 2011.
- R. AN, W. C. Chen, “Research in social support of mobile communication media for international students,” Journal of Xinjiang Normal University, Vol. 1, pp. 131-137, 2017.
- S.W. Zhu, China Social Media Ecology Map. http://36kr.com/p/16685. html.
- T.E. Seeman, and L.F. Berkman, “Structural characteristics of social network and their relationship with social support in the elderly: Who provides support,” Social Science Media, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 737-749, 1988.10.1016/0277-9536(88)90065-2
- T.X. Chen, “Study on Chinese learning motivations of Thai and American students in non-target language environment,” Language Teaching and Research, Vol. 4, pp. 30-37, 2012.
- W.Q. Qiu, “A review of foreign language learning motivation research,” Journal of Zhengzhou Institute of Aeronautical Industry Management, Vol.5, pp. 190-193, 2013.
- X.L. Su, “L2 motivational self system of one successful language learner: A case study,” Journal of Taiyuan Normal University, Vol. 3, pp. 122-126, 2012.
- X. Zhou, and Z. Rao, “The direction of the study of second language learning motivation,” Foreign Language World, Vol. 2, pp. 39-44, 2007.
- Y. Ge, “The application of WeChat in teaching Chinese as a foreign language in senior high school,” Digital Chinese Teaching, Vol. 7, pp. 301-311, 2014.
- Y. Man, Q.R. Xiang, Y. Wang, K. Nadia, and Y.Z. Huang, “Chinese culture in international students: Communication and reception,” News Dissemination, Vol. 2, pp. 27-28, 2016.
- Y.M. Cui, “Enlightenment of autonomous foreign language learning under new media quality education environment,” News Front, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 129-130, 2015.
- Z.L. Wei, “Investigation Aon the current state of media literacy in new media for university students: Taking Lanzhou University as an example,” Journal of Chifeng University, Vol. 7, pp. 65-66, 2015.
- Y.L. Zhu, Research on the learning motivation of Ukraine Chinese learners in non-target language environment, Master Thesis. Anhui University, Hefei, China, 2013.
- Publisher :Research Institute of Creative Contents
- Publisher(Ko) :글로컬문화전략연구소
- Journal Title :The Journal of Culture Contents
- Journal Title(Ko) :문화콘텐츠연구
- Volume : 18
- No :0
- Pages :183-208